The Committee on Children was created by statute to research issues regarding the children of South Carolina and to offer policy and legislative recommendations to the Governor and Legislature. Membership of the Committee on Children is comprised of
- 3 Senators appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate
- 3 Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House
- 3 Citizens appointed by the Governor
- The State Superintendent of Education
- Directors of the Departments of Mental Health, Social Services, Juvenile Justice, and Disabilities and Special Needs
The Committee on Children identifies and researches issues related to children, provides information and recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly on children's issues, offers recommendations for policy and legislation, and collaborates with child serving state agencies.
The Committee on Children publishes an Annual Report to the Governor and the General Assembly. Research and staff support for the Committee on Children is provided by the Children's Law Center, University of South Carolina School of Law.